I posted a problem on the Angstrom-users list but have had no replies.
Perhaps the list is inactive:
http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/angstrom-distro-users/2012-October/004118.html

Basically running "opkg update && opkg upgrade" on the beagleBONE
doesn't work. It appears to break various //var/lib/opkg/info/*.list
files.

As a result to keep internet facing services up to date I had to do a
work-around with "opkg --force-reinstall install openssh". With this
you have to get the exact package match; "opkg --force-reinstall
install ssh" doesn't work.

The force reinstall will download the latest package according to any
changes resulting from "opkg update".

I hope this helps someone.

If you are running dropbear you'll get a conflict. I don't know how to
do this change from dropbear to openssh without losing remote
connectivity. Running a screen session might work but if the
changeover fails you might end up reimaging the sdcard image to the
sdcard. Might be better to stick with dropbear until you come across
functionality in openssh you need.