Hi,

I have tried the instructions at http://wp.angstrom-distribution.org/?page_id=53
for building two example Yocto-based Angström images but
I can't get the resulting files to boot up.

I have used this information to partition a 4GB SD card:
https://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/LinuxBootDiskFormat

Recent fdisk versions use LBA-only partitioning by default and
because of SSD alignment and GRUB2 space requirements,
the minimum sector where the first partition can start is 2048.
Fortunately, the "-c=dos -u=cylinder" options can be used
to switch back fdisk to DOS-compatible mode.

I copied MLO, u-boot.img (renamed to u-boot.bin) and uImage (kernel 3.2.28)
to the FAT32 partition in that order, syncing and remounting the partition
between copying the files, just to make sure MLO and u-boot.bin are
placed correctly first. These are the only lines I get when booting:

----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----
Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.4.2 (Nov 10 2009 - 13:11:00)
Reading boot sector

----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----

I have an older, correctly bootable image and I used the MLO/u-boot.bin
files from there on my newly partitioned and reformatted SD card with
the new kernel. Now, at least it loads u-boot and the kernel, but the kernel
stops.
I got these lines in minicom:

----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----
Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.4.2 (Nov 10 2009 - 13:11:00)
Reading boot sector

U-Boot 2009.03 (Jun 05 2009 - 16:39:37)

OMAP3503-GP rev 2, CPU-OPP2 L3-165MHz
OMAP3 Beagle board + LPDDR/NAND
DRAM:  128 MB
NAND:  512 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Board revision Ax/Bx
Die ID #2ef40004000000000403a1f302015023
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
OMAP3 beagleboard.org # boot
reading MLO

19928 bytes read
HW ECC selected

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x0, size 0x4dd8
 19928 bytes read: OK
Total of 19928 bytes were the same
MLO NAND OK
reading uImage

4335504 bytes read
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 80300000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.2.28
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    4335440 Bytes =  4.1 MB
   Load Address: 80008000
   Entry Point:  80008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----

Nothing more.

My questions:
1. How can I use the newly built MLO/u-boot files?
   Should I somehow reset the board before I can do that?

2. I tried the kernel with different console=ttySn,... settings, nothing
produced kernel
messages.
   I suppose it doesn't boot.

3. The Angström bitbake process doesn't produce plain *.sdcard files like the
one for
Freescale. Why?

Thanks in advance,
Zoltán Böszörményi