Sorry it's been a while since I followed up with this, but felt I should
update it for posterity. There is a bug submitted to Angular for this...
although it is unclear whether the bug lies with Angular or Chrome/Safari.
There are also a couple of workarounds posted. The bug report can be found
here: https://github.com/angular/angular.js/issues/7042