I am assuming that is not necessary to have the data structured like "lynxjura", right?

No, no need: these data are stored in this way to allow their storage as a dataset.

This means that is possible to have the locations in one file and the raster data in another file, is that correct?

Yes, this is correct,
Best,

Clément

Best,