Hi List,

I've been looking for reasonable methods of estimating missing GPS
tracking data to fill in gaps at a regular time interval.  For instance
if I have data being collected every 4 hours, but have a 12 hour gap
between a set of locations, is it possible to interpolate the missing 3
locations between point A and B?  I have been experimenting with some of
the simm.* functions in adehabitat, but am wondering if anyone has any
experience with methods that might use the fractal dimension of the path
as an estimation parameter.  I'm still trying to get my head around
this, but am thinking that if I know the Fd of the path, then there may
be a way to use that as a parameter to estimate the missing points.  I'm
hoping that using the Fd of the path would presumably provide a more
'realistic' estimation of the path than a straight CRW or Brownian
estimate (but I may be way off with this).

I've been looking online and through the literature for any insight, but
haven't found much so far.  If anyone has some experience with this or
some other ideas I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks very much,

Kevin Middel

M.Sc. Candidate,

Trent University