Dear Elodie,

Who said that overlaps had to be symmetrical? Based on your data, this should make it clearer:

library(adehabitatHS)

locs <- read.csv("reproducible_example_kerneloverlap.csv")
coordinates(locs) <- ~Longitude+Latitude

mcp1 <- mcp(locs[, 1])
plot(mcp1)

As you can see, the MCP of the first trip is (almost) entirely included in the MCP of the second trip. But the reverse is not true.

Also please check the ref from the doc [1], where you will find why, and which is the best overlap estimate that suits your needs (hint: MCP is generally not).

Last but not least, not sure that lat/long degrees makes sense when it comes to overlap... You might want to project your data in some local coordinate system.

Best,
Mathieu.

[1] Fieberg, J. and Kochanny, C.O. (2005) Quantifying home-range overlap: the importance of the utilization distribution. Journal of Wildlife Management, 69:1346-1359.