Just in time for the holidays, the Open MPI Team, representing a consortium of
research, academic, and industry partners, is pleased to announce the first
release candidate of the upcoming v2.0.0 series: v2.0.0rc1.

The v2.x series is a new series which includes many new features and
under-the-hood improvements.  Many of these features and improvements were
discussed in the Open MPI SC'15 State of the Union BOF; the slides are
available here:

    http://blogs.cisco.com/performance/slides-from-open-mpi-sc15-sotu-bof

Additionally, as the change in the first digit indicates, the v2.x series is
not (binary) backwards compatible with the v1.10 series.  Specifically: MPI and
OpenSHMEM applications will need to be recompiled against v2.0.0, and will need
to use the v2.x "mpirun" and support libraries.  Slides 9-12 in the BOF slides
(linked above) explain Open MPI's (relatively new) version numbering scheme.

We do not expect to release v2.0.0 until January at the earliest; we wanted to
make some early release candidates available to the Open MPI user community to
get some real-world testing, and to get feedback before the final release
becomes available.

The v2.0.0 release candidate tarballs are available at the same location where
the final release tarballs will be available:

    http://www.open-mpi.org/software/ompi/v2.x/

Happy holidays!

--
Jeff Squyres