I've been using a lot of filters recently and wondered if anyone would find
it useful if the documentation for filters showed what data types they
expect and emit?

I'm happy to have a go at a PR.

For example, something like this ( I would tinker with the formatting, this
is just to show what information would be added to this
page: http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/playbooks_filters.html#list-filters )

To get the minimum value from list of numbers:

{{ list1 | min }}

*expects: list*

*emits: integer*

To get the maximum value from a list of numbers:

{{ [3, 4, 2] | max }}

*expects: list*

*emits: integer*