In many vmware_* modules, the datacenter parameter is marked as required -
but is it really needed?

I ask because I've written a module, based on vmware_guest_find, that
returns the Datacenter for a given VM and VCenter, which I can then feed in
to the other "official" modules. My module uses the built-in function
"get_parent_datacenter" (defined in
https://github.com/ansible/ansible/blob/devel/lib/ansible/module_utils/vmware.py)

so I'm not inventing anything particularly new. My point is that if I, an
amateur Python coder at best, can do this, why can't the official modules
do it by default?  Is there some reason for the current behaviour that I am
missing?

I'm not really confident (yet) in editing the official modules and
submitting Pull Requests etc. but am happy to share my code with someone
who can do this.