Thanks for the example.  Would it be crazy/possible to implement
optional merging dependent on the hash's name?  Seems like for some
vars you could possibly want it, in others, not.  So things that are
in nature restrictive like sudo would be merged, and others wouldn't.

something like:

hash_behaviour = replace  # by default we replace all vars except
those in merge_hashes
merge_hashes = foo, baz, bar

- James