I am curious if there is any mechanism to perform synchronous tasks among a
group of nodes (or nodes in a role, etc.)

There is one example online to perform rolling updates to a group of web
servers, one at a time. This makes perfect sense, since in this case you
don't want to shut down all of them to keep the service up.

But in another scenario, where I need to shut down all the service nodes,
upgrade database schema, upgrade software code, and then restart the
nodes.. So, I want to have a play book that can do:
- stop all nodes in a group/role
- perform db migration
- perform software upgrade for all nodes
- start service one by one

Is there a way to do this? Thanks..