Hi Bryan,

Following https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/pull/2710 and
https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/5403, I would like to clarify a
bit.

The reported problem (Why '--user' argument is ignored?) affects your
general usage of `ansible-playbook`. You showed that it is not a specific
problem with Vagrant Ansible provisioner, so it makes sense to keep the
discussion here.

That said, I would like to help you to find out the origin of this
problem... But I can't reproduce and have difficulties to figure out where
could this "User=root" come from... Could you please detail your Ansible
installation (from source or from package? do you use a custom ansible.cfg
file?)

Cheers, Gilles

@James: exporting ANSIBLE_REMOTE_USER and ANSIBLE_PRIVATE_KEY_FILE as you
mentioned is an easy trick to be able to run `ansible-playbook` from the
command line (withou --private-key and --user), but you shouldn't need it
to run commands like `vagrant provision`. Don't you, right? Focusing on the
current problem, passing a `--user` argument actually overrides this
$ANSIBLE_REMOTE_USER variable.