Having played with this a little more I am having concerns about how the
cron module works when a similar line already exists.

For example, if I want to change an existing line in a crontab to modify
the parameters to the command what is the best way to do that?

The most effective way on linux seems to be to use lineinfile to modify the
file directly.  This works because cron actually looks for changed files on
Linux.  This doesn't work on AIX though and while modifiying the cron
module to work for AIX is trivial this does not provide the functionality
that I would like.

Does anyone have any suggestions or do I need to rewrite the cron module
completely?

Adam