I believe Peter's favorite phrase here is "you should treat AWS servers
like cattle, not pets", and you should be able to tell what Ansible is
doing by the names of your roles, host groups, and task headers, and I'm a
little puzzled why an IP would make debugging difficult.

That being said, I'd like to hear more.

Here's the relevant info from the default ec2.ini:

# This is the normal destination variable to use. If you are running Ansible
# from outside EC2, then 'public_dns_name' makes the most sense. If you are
# running Ansible from within EC2, then perhaps you want to use the internal
# address, and should set this to 'private_dns_name'.
destination_variable = public_dns_name

# For server inside a VPC, using DNS names may not make sense. When an
instance
# has 'subnet_id' set, this variable is used. If the subnet is public,
setting
# this to 'ip_address' will return the public IP address. For instances in a
# private subnet, this should be set to 'private_ip_address', and Ansible
must
# be run from with EC2.
vpc_destination_variable = ip_address

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Yves Dorfsman <y...@zioup.com> wrote:

> When running playbooks with a dynamic inventory and ec2.py, the host names
> show as ip addresses... This makes monitoring what ansible is doing, let
> alone debugging, difficult. Is there any way to change this behaviour?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Yves.

Michael DeHaan <mich...@ansibleworks.com>