As for tests, I have a complete test system for the internal backup tool I've written and used at $work. I basically start up a user-mode-linux instance, then mount hostfs and overlayfs, so that I can run things as root, it has no outbound network, I then start up a dummy sshd, create a dummy non-root user, then rsync/ssh to test parts of the backup tool.

I had this fake-linux wrapper semi-isolated, but never actually released it. I wonder if it would help for ansible.