Asciidoc produces no results on what platform?  Confused by your apt-file
command above.

It could be added to BuildRequires, though this is more for packaging
relative to the tarball.

The build system will attempt to do this prior to building the RPM (and we
are ok with this, because RPM is only one of many things we use and should
not drive the build system)

We do "make rpm" from checkout, which calls the docs target.