On Tue, 4 Mar 2014, Brian Coca wrote:

I understand that, it is not the problem.

Consider my site.yml which has 23 different plays. To run with the new
behavior I gather facts 23 times.

If I change my included plays to gather_facts: false to avoid this, I
cannot run them individually anymore if they need facts (most of them do).

Exactly, this is what we do often as well. I didn't this implication.

But now that Michael proposes to have gather_facts: auto configurable from ansible.cfg, it would suffice for me. What he thinks is best by default is not my concern, but his customer's and support's concern.

That said, I would definitely fix the logic that validates from SETUP_CACHE whether setup was already run, and make a special boolean or fact to keep track of whether it has run. Which IMO is the real bug that needs fixing.

--
-- dag wieers, d...@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, cont...@dagit.net, http://dagit.net/