I thought of a workaround, but also doesn't work:

- set_fact: item.target_name = item.name
  when: item.target_name is not defined
  with_items: configs

This way I could just always use item.target_name. It runs on the correct
items, but seems that set_fact doesn't work as I expected for an item dict,
as item.target_name is still undefined on the next task.