Hi all,

   This is my first post here so apologies if this has been already asked
   before :-) . Any pointers to the relevant conversation will be much
   appreciated.

   I'm trying to understand what approach I should take regarding
   organizing my inventory, considering the following:

   - I have an external, custom-made CMDB (somewhat tweakeable).
   - The servers are scattered through 15+ datacentres
   - The servers might belong to different customers.
   - I want to be able to override vars defined on a Datacentre-level with
   others defined at customer-level or host-level.

   That'd look like :

   [Datacentre1]
   CustomerA-webserver1
   customerA-webserver2
   customerA-database1
   customerB-server1
   customerB-server2

   [Datacentre1:vars]
   dns1: 1.1.1.1
   dns2: 1.1.1.2
   ntp1: 1.1.1.1
   ntp2: 1.1.1.2

   [Datacentre2]
   customerC-webserver1
   customerC-webserver2
   CustomerD-server1

   [Datacentre2:vars]
   dns1: 2.1.1.1
   dns2: 2.1.1.2
   ntp1: 2.1.1.1
   ntp2: 2.1.1.2

   The playbooks I'm focusing on writing now are about standardizing basic
   system
   configurations (ntp.conf , resolv.conf , syslog etc) and the
   Datacenter-inherited values should be good 90% of the time, but there are
   exceptions; that's why I need to come up with this schema.

   Longer term, all this data could be incorporated into the CMDB but at the
   moment I want to see if this can be reasonably accomplished with
   Ansible-only configuration.

   Also I've explored the possibility of defining this into roles, but I'm
   not
   seeing how I can easily override values for a certain host or "customer"

   group.

   Thanks,

   Fran