This presents a problem for my use case: if I want to use Ansible as my
Infrastructure CM/provisioner, and i want my developers to use vagrant
boxes configured from the same playbooks as production, for those devs on
windows (and for myself), I can't use the vagrant Ansible provisioner?

Packer's ansible provisioner kind of moots the windows/cygwin question by
the fact that it only supports running ansible on the VM itself, and copies
over the playbooks.

I suppose that if I start from Packer-built boxen, that will force me to
develop a pull-style ansible workflow, which might be somewhat useful
anyway.