"- hosts: "{{ outgoing|default(['no-match']) }}[0]"

In Ansible, the general rule is if something looks ungainly like this,
don't do it :)

I would probably consider having one playbook that includes another list of
plays, and running either the top level one or the second one depending on
whether you need to do the second step.

Might not work for you to me.