I know this has come up before, but I've not come across a real answer for
it.

It's common for a given host to depend on other hosts. App servers need to
know the IP of databases they consume, databases need to know IPs of app
servers that will be accessing them etc etc. In Ansible, the IP of other
hosts is not automatically exposed. One practice I've seen is to run a
dummy play just to force the other host's facts to be discovered, but this
gets tedious, clutters up scripts, and slows down their execution. I'm sure
there must be a better way, but I don't know what.