Hello,
I submitted a pull request for some enhancements to the ec2_asg module
https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/7612

This adds a few things:

   - More verbose output than just changed:[true | false]. This is useful
   if you're registering variables for use later. I found this particularly
   useful for fetching the registered launch configuration for deletion after
   a new one is set. It also returns a list of running instance IDs. This is
   useful for tearing down running instances.
   - Allowing to query the autoscaling group by using the asg name and
   state=present. The behavior before was to fail if a launch_configuration
   and size parameters weren't specified. These aren't needed and now are only
   set if they are a specified parameter.
   - Added support for setting tags on the autoscaling group. The ec2_tag
   module doesn't work for autoscaling groups, so this allows you to set them
   so they can propagate to the instances generated by the autoscaling group.

The pull request wasn't getting much attention, but I think it's quite the
improvement. What else is required to get it merged? Let me know if you
would like more documentation on the added features or the module in
general, I'd be happy to add it.

Thanks!
- Matt Ferrante