" For example, a munin role may ask apache role to create a virtualhost, if
it finds apache is available."

Role dependencies can include "when" statements.   The conditionals will be
applied to each task in the role, so the parameters would need to be loaded
first, i.e in your role dependencies:

{ role: apache, when: has_apache }

Since these happen before the role, you would need to set "has_apache" via
register or other means prior to including the role that had this
dependency.

However, in most cases, this is a little too complicated.

Why do munin machines in your infrastructure only sometimes have Apache
available?

I'd probably try to fix that by enforcing consistency with Ansible, rather
than making it behave too conditionally.

It's almost always cleaner to say "there shall be X" and make it so, rather
than make some things depend on the state of remote infrastructure, which
is variable, and then you don't know what you've got.