Docker images in private repos should have be accessed by the private
repo's FQDN, for example:

docker.example.com/myimage:tag

When pulling by this image name, it's implied that the registry is at
docker.example.com and is accessible to the Docker host.  It looks like the
Docker module makes mention of API usernames and passwords, implying that
it has the capability to authenticated against hub.docker.io and any
registry that uses the index/hub authentication.  I'd have to look through
the source code to be sure, but I think that's what it's doing.  The docker
image module doens't have this capability.

At any rate, check out what auth mechanism you're using on your private
index, check that the docker host has access to the registry.

For what it's worth, I use the docker module to work against my private
registry, and it works without issue.