Actually it was (and just did again) a clean checkout :

1 - download archive
2 - untar
3 - cd to dir
4 - make deb
5 - same error

I maybe do something wrong but I don't know what, if I. And there's no
problem at all with the dev repo version.

I did find some other errors at the beginning of the process :

cat: VERSION: No such file or directory
fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /home)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).
Cleaning up distutils stuff

[...]

warning: no files found matching 'packaging/distutils/setup.py'
writing manifest file 'ansible.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
warning: sdist: standard file not found: should have one of README,
README.rst, README.txt

Maybe it'll help, maybe not.

I downloaded the zip file from here :

        https://github.com/ansible/ansible/archive/release1.6.6.zip

instead of here :

        http://releases.ansible.com/ansible/ansible-latest.tar.gz

It works too, no error. So I guess it's definitely something wrong with
this special archive/url.