On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 9:09 AM, Michael DeHaan <mich...@ansible.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Nick Janetakis <nick.janeta...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to address some of your concerns:
>>
>> *Re: "run":*
>> The stemmed from the ginas project. It's currently 50 roles inside of a
>> single git repo. The author of ginas recently decided he's going to try and
>> break up each role into stand alone git repos and release whatever roles he
>> can on the galaxy. Now... he is a unix beast and could write a script to
>> walk each directory, create a new git repo, add a remote origin to it,
>> etc.. but it's annoying to write all of that stuff. Wouldn't it be cool to
>> just type:
>>
>> `ansigenome run -m 'git init && git remote add origin https://github.com/
>>> *yourname*/%role_name.git`
>>>

> I'd probably go "find . | xargs" myself, maybe bash alias it.
>
> For most internal projects, keeping one role per repo is really
> complicated.  It works great for galaxy because it allows for seperate
> versions and forking, and easier pull requests.
>
> Also I may point out it appears you are using a new templating system :)
>

>> That's all you would need to write to make 50 git dirs and add a custom
>> remote to each one. %role_name gets replaced with the current role in the
>> loop.
>>
>> *Re: "rebuild":*
>> Also he wanted to make a readme standard for all his roles. He wanted an
>> easy way to adjust a readme template for all his roles at once. By
>> providing just a tiny bit of information in your meta file it will create
>> an interesting readme file for you based on the stats it found by
>> inspecting your role.
>>

> This seems a bit specialized at first glance.   It is true that
> ansible-galaxy init does instantiate a readme template for a role,
> contributions to make that configurable would be welcome, I'm not sure
> "stats based" are the ideal way to go about it.
>

>> Since last night I've added a bit more documentation on rebuilding:
>> https://github.com/nickjj/ansigenome#example-rebuild-output
>>
>> You can see an example output there and how you would use it.
>>

>> *Re: travis:*There's a lot of low quality roles on the galaxy that
>> aren't idempotent.

Wanted to address this, BTW.   This is not /always/ the case.

Ansible is also designed to model a wide variety of actions.    "reboot" is
a valid role.    "restart_caching_layer" could be a valid role.
"rotate_ssh_keys" could be one as well, as could even
"erase_disks_to_government_standards".

Not all operations in ansible have to be idempotent.   We achieve this
easily by having modules that (usually, in their most commonly used states)
have declarative properties.

But one of the great powers of ansible is the ability to break out of that
model, and use it for more than config management, and for things that
actually are also stepwise.

Galaxy is naturally a commons, and content there can be of varying nature,
but that's why the review system is in place.   I'd recommend people use
this to comment on roles they like, as this helps folks find better content.

Ansible's niceness is that you can be declarative when you want, but it
also lets you be imperative when you want.   (As such, with great power
comes great responsibility... except when you are doing "cloud like cloud"
and are just throwing images/instances away on upgrade, in which case, not
so much).