The answer to accessing events programmatically is a callback plugin, and
Matt Martz from Rackspace contributed one exactly for hipchat.

https://github.com/ansible/ansible/blob/devel/plugins/callbacks/hipchat.py

See the docs about callback plugins, but basically you just need to have
this stored at a filesystem location and configure ansible.cfg to include
the callback plugin directory that it is in, and it will load everything in
that dir.

You may wish to modify the output it creates.

This is a way better way to share things in chat than the individual
notification modules for things like this, as callbacks have an opportunity
to see *everything* and it's also going to be more efficient as they can
limit the number of connections/disconnections involved in the chat server.