Heh, yeah, guessing how long it takes to restart is not ideal. It's just
what I was thinking of as a work around that properly tweaked would avoid
clobbering the cluster.

The more I think about it, the more I'm not sure there's a good way to do
this in Ansible. For Elasticsearch, I'd want to issue a command like
'service elasticsearch safe-restart' that waits for the status of the
cluster to be green before restarting. For RabbitMQ, I'd want something
similar, though I haven't worked with it enough to know exaction what.

I think I'll head off to the elasticsearch group and Google to see how
others have avoided clobbering their clusters when updating config. :)
Thanks for all the responses so far.

--David Reagan