Definitely - I desire to have different roles append firewall rules
(strings) to a single fact dictionary.  The final role will apply those
generic rules to the appropriate iptables/ufw/ec2 security group based on
the host's OS and cloud provider.  Allowing each role to append their own
rules to the fact is a highly compostable solution.  It abstracts
role-provided firewall rules from the host OS and hosting environments
those roles are applied to.

I stumbled across Steven's super-detailed example that described the use
case(s) very clearly:
https://github.com/sgargan/ansible-add-facts-examples

To me, the current outcome of using "set_fact" along with "with_items" very
much defies the "Principle of least surprise".  I was sure surprised.

Note this request is in NO WAY for new "programming language" functionality
in Ansible - this is simply a request to make "set_fact" work in the least
surprising way when used with "with_items".

Thanks for considering this,

Ned.