Mixing groups between dynamic and static works in Ansible 1.7 and higher,
so if you are not running that version, I'd upgrade.

"To re-use this same method with static host inventories, the only way I
can see is to put each inventory file in a separate directory along with a
copy of rollup groups. "

I don't understand this part of the question.