That's right. But I was referring to another thing.

Basically, I'm trying to use their deployment role as a whole, to perform
certain operations only on certain hosts, while leaving all the
hosts/groups, listed in the the main 'hosts' directive.

In my other roles, I've been using host_vars or even defined the host vars
in the 'hosts' file and used those vars as flags for acting or not on some
particular tasks.

To nail it down, I am deploying on 10 nodes and each is having a custom
connection string to its own Redis node. That would be handled via the
/private folder, but I can't see a built-in way for their deployment role
to do this.

Perhaps I'm not looking at it from the right angle.