On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Craig Marvelley <craig.marvel...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all! Up until now, I've provisioned machines in EC2 in two stages - the
> first set of playbooks launch the machine and tag it as necessary, and then
> a second set of playbooks does the proper provisioning, using group_vars
> identified automatically according to the tag_NAME_VALUE convention to
> dictate how the plays are run.

See how you can include your configuration playbook at the end of your
provisioning playbook  with the "add_host" trick, as you can do this all in
one pass.

> I've just changed this process so the launching and configuration happens
> all in the same set of playbooks, i.e. there's no break in between these
> playbooks running. With this done, it seems the group vars matching the new
> instance's tags are not applied automatically - possibly because these are
> evaluated by the dynamic inventory script when the overarching play begins,
> and not as new items enter the inventory?

Inventory script gets evaluated at inventory host time, so it's always a
good idea to use "add_host" to explicitly add them in memory to those
specific groups.