Dan,

I've been tinkering with this process for quite a while and have made a
pull request to ansible core that I believe does what you are looking for:

https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/8901

As Michael stated, we will be releasing a blog post that's going to go more
in depth in describing a few different ways to perform updates to ASG's
that use pre-baked AMIs (this module approach being one of them).

I appreciate any feedback/testing you can provide on that pull request of
course.  The documentation is inline in the module source.

Thanks,

- James

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Michael DeHaan <mich...@ansible.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> James Martin is working on a 2-3 part blog post on *exactly* this subject,
> which I believe we're going to be posting this week, which shows a couple
> of ways to do it.
>
> I've included him on this mailing list thread if he wants to share some
> cliff-notes.
>
> --Michael
>

> On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Daniel Langer <danlan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to use Ansible to do a rolling deploy against an ELB linked to
>> an auto-scaling group (ASG), using a pre-baked AMI. My ideal process would
>> go something like this
>>
>> 1. Get the current membership of the ASG
>> 2. Update the launch configuration for the ASG
>> 3. For each member:
>>   3a. Create an instance using the new AMI
>>   3b. Associate the instance with the ASG
>>   3c. Terminate the original instance
>>
>> The other option I was considering was:
>>
>> 1. Get the current membership of the ASG
>> 2. Update the launch configuration for the ASG
>> 3. For each member:
>>   3a. Terminate the instance
>>   3b. Wait until the ASG has noticed and launched a new instance before
>> continuing
>>
>> For the former, I don't see a way using the built-in EC2 modules to
>> associate an instance with an ASG. For the latter, I'm not clear how I'd
>> wait until the ASG has launched a new instance to catch up with the one I
>> terminated.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to do either one, or if that's not possible, what
>> the best-practice for what I'm trying to do it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dan

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/42240c16-c2a5-4dac-b6f9-a30fc6e5b8d2%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ansible-project/42240c16-c2a5-4dac-b6f9-a30fc6e5b8d2%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>