Hmm....

We run a lot of EC2 plays from our integration tests -- originating *not*
in EC2 and running almost constantly, and don't really see this -- some
other providers, yes.  I'd be curious if others do.

You can definitely consider running the Ansible control machine *inside*
EC2, where connections will be more reliable (and also faster), which is
something I usually recommend to folks.

Another thing is when spinning up new instances, using the "wait_for"
trick, be sure to put a sleep in after the wait_for.   SSH ports can come
up but not be quite ready, which gives the appearance of SSH failure.  I'm
wondering if that might be part of it, or if you're seeing connection
issues at effectively random points or just those.