Thanks, I was trying to do the following (which pretty much comes straight
from the manual) but I can't get it to work:

(This is within a role)

# Load a variable file based on the OS type, or a default if not found.
- include_vars: "{{ item }}"
  with_first_found:
   - "{{ ansible_distribution }}.yml"
   - "{{ ansible_os_family }}.yml"
   - "default.yml"

result: failed: [hostname] => {"failed": true, "item": null}

I don't see how 'item' is ever going to be 'null' at this point...