Hi,

I want to use logentries to forward important log files. Most servers have
the same files, but there are some which are specific based on which
services are running. So I figured out one way to do this by using
with_items like the example below, but I'm not sure if this is considered a
good practice. The programmer in me instinctively wanted to define a
variable in group_vars/all and append to it (like a "subclass") in
group_vars/my_custom_server but that doesn't seem to be possible(?).

Or should I just create one task for the generic case and another task for
the more specific one?

What's the idiomatic way to do this in ansible?

-Tore

---

- hosts: all

  vars:

  - has_particular_file: no # or yes; to see the different behaviour

  tasks:

  - name: Test

    action: debug msg="{{ item.file }}"

    with_items:

    - { file: /var/log/foo.log }

    - { file: /var/log/bar.log }

    - { file: /var/log/particular.log, cond: "{{ has_particular_file }}" }

    when: item.cond is not defined or item.cond|bool