Thinking on this a bit more ... it seems there are two use cases here: how
to dynamically change your SSH control connection during playbook execution
and how to subsequently refer to the new bastion host on subsequent calls
to ansible-playbook.  If you could set SSH arguments per play, then I think
both of these cases are addressed:

- hosts: all
  connection: ssh
  connection_args:
    proxy_host: {{ groups.bastion[0] }}
    proxy_port: 22
    user: johndoe

The 'connection_args' feature implies you no longer require SSH config
files (but could optionally use them if preferred).  It could be used
dynamically within a playbook to override your defaults that come from
"ANSIBLE_SSH_ARGS", for example.

I can see an argument for just specifying raw SSH command line arguments as
well, something like:

- hosts: all
  connection: ssh
  connection_args: