On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 9:52:11 AM UTC-7, Tennis Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone found a good way to debug ansible modules via the PyCharm
> debugger?
>
> -T

I did a little looking into this. The first problem is making Ansible
not delete the modules on the remote host. The documentation page
http://docs.ansible.com/developing_modules.html#check-mode

mentions how to do this, although it would be nice if there were
a module-specific directive that turned this on for just the
one module, something like

tasks:
   - name: ensure apache is at the latest version
     yum: pkg=httpd state=latest module-save=True

That said, my understanding is that the remote modules don't
require anything other than standard python, which is why Ansible
isn't required on the remote node. So, you "should" be able to run
a remote module using your favorite debugging method. I haven't
tried this, and I'm not an Ansible expert, so I'd be interested
in finding out if this works.

Jon Forrest