When I'm first setting up a vm, I need to set which user to use and the ssh
and sudo passwords.

So, my host file looks something like:

[apache]
> 192.168.77.2 ansible_ssh_user=vagrant ansible_ssh_pass=vagrant
> ansible_sudo_pass=vagrant
> [mysql]
> 192.168.77.3 ansible_ssh_user=vagrant ansible_ssh_pass=vagrant
> ansible_sudo_pass=vagrant

The initial setup includes configuring ssh to use sshkey auth, block
password auth, and adds my ssh pub key to the vagrant user.

After that first run, my playbooks fail.

ansible-playbook -i provisioning/vagrant.ansible.hosts --sudo
> --limit="192.168.77.3" provisioning/play.testowncloud.yml
>
> PLAY [apache]
> skipping: no hosts matched
>
> PLAY [mysql]
>
> GATHERING FACTS
> fatal: [192.168.77.3] => SSH encountered an unknown error during the
> connection. We recommend you re-run the command using -vvvv, which will
> enable SSH debugging output to help diagnose the issue
>
> TASK: [aspects_mysql_server | include_vars {{ ansible_os_family }}.yml]
> *******
> FATAL: no hosts matched or all hosts have already failed -- aborting
>

> PLAY RECAP
>            to retry, use: --limit @/home/localuser/play.testowncloud.retry
>
> 192.168.77.3               : ok=0    changed=0    unreachable=1
> failed=0

If I remove the *ansible_ssh_pass* variable from my hosts file, it starts
working.

Why is that? Shouldn't having the *ansible_ssh_pass* set not matter?

In case it's useful, my /etc/ssh/sshd_config:

# See the sshd_config(5) manpage for details on what options you can set.
> Protocol 2
> HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
> HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_ecdsa_key
> UsePrivilegeSeparation yes
> AcceptEnv LANG LC_*
> HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
> Port 22
> PubkeyAuthentication yes
> ServerKeyBits 768
> PrintMotd no
> AllowUsers otherusers localuser vagrant
> PrintLastLog yes
> HostbasedAuthentication no
> LoginGraceTime 120
> SyslogFacility AUTH
> X11DisplayOffset 10
> IgnoreRhosts yes
> PasswordAuthentication no
> TCPKeepAlive yes
> KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
> UsePAM yes
> LogLevel INFO
> RhostsRSAAuthentication no
> PermitEmptyPasswords no
> PermitRootLogin no
> Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server
> X11Forwarding yes
> RSAAuthentication yes
> ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

Both desktop and vm are Ubuntu 14.04. Using ansible devel branch current as
of a couple weeks ago.