Ansible doesn't know what variables you are going to use in a template up
front, so any group or host variable in the configuration will be loaded.

You may wish to move your secured files to something like (toplevel)
production.yml and do a

ansible-playbook site.yml -e @production.yml

and reduce the number of vault files you have, and this way it would only
load the production one.

Alternatively, keep your inventory in different directories

-i inventory/prod/inventory.ini, group_vars, host_vars
-i inventory/dev/inventory.ini, group_vars, host_vars

To keep them isolated.