So, I tried to do this, and found it didn't work.  I wasn't terribly
surprised, but it seems like a reasonable use-case.

The play is to be run on one host- a central server, and I have a list of
groups that I want to perform actions for- for each host in each group.

The code looks something like this:

   1.   vars:
   2.     group_list: [ 'group1', 'group2', 'group3' ]
   3.     my_script: /some/script/foo.sh
   4.
   5.   tasks:
   6.     - name: Nested task
   7.       command: ${my_script} action-{{item.0}}
   "{{hostvars[item.1]['some_fact']}}"
   8.       with_nested:
   9.         - group_list
   10.         - groups[item.0]

What happens is that ansible interprets "groups[item.0]" as a string and
tries to iterate over it's characters.  Seems like a valid use case, but I
can understand that re-evaluating the inner list on each outer-loop may be
challenging.

It's easily enough accomplished by unrolling the outer loop, but moderately
annoying that I can't reduce it to a nested loop.