Hi,

I am trying to deploy software from git to a machine which I am managing
with Ansible. I am using SSH agent forwarding for authentication.

If I log in as the user and connect to the repository host, everything
works just like it should. I can make use of the key I am using from the
management host. Installing that same key in /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts or
~user/.ssh/known_hosts for the user who is supposed to actually execute
git, results in this error message:

msg: repo.example.com has an unknown hostkey. Set accept_hostkey to True or
manually add the hostkey prior to running the git module

Installing the key as described in the manual by using ssh-keyscan makes
it work, but is ineffective as a security measure. If I need to check
the host key to begin with, I cannot rely on DNS, which I use in the git
URL, to get it. Getting it from the machine that I am going to check
from does not make me feel secure as it would only guard against DNS or
routing tampering during the probably short time window between getting
the key by scanning it, then checking it during the git operation. The
case for setting 'accept_hostkey=yes' is even less compelling if you are
managing hosts across the Internet, as I do.

It would be great if this functionality would be a bit more versatile
and robust.

Thank you,
--Toni++