Hi all, Ansible 1.9.0 final has been released and is now available.

Ansible 1.9.0 introduces several new features, including support for PBRun
authentication (in addition to sudo and su), improved tagging capabilities,
and faster YAML loading (up to 25% faster). For users managing Windows
servers, Kerberos authentication has been added to the winrm connection
plugin, which has been a long requested feature.

Some other highlights from the CHANGELOG:

* Improved ssh connection error reporting, now you get back the specific
message from ssh.
* Added facility to document task module return values for registered vars,
both for
  ansible-doc and the docsite. Documented copy, stats and acl modules, the
rest must be
  updated individually (we will start doing so incrementally).
* Optimize the plugin loader to cache available plugins much more
efficiently.
  For some use cases this can lead to dramatic improvements in startup time.
* Fix skipped tasks to not display their parameters if no_log is specified.
* environment: directive now can also be applied to play and is inhertited
by tasks, which can
  still overridde it.

New Modules:
* cryptab: manages linux encrypted block devices
* gce_img:  for utilizing GCE image resources
* gluster_volume: manage glusterfs volumes
* haproxy: for the load balancer of same name
* known_hosts: manages the ssh known_hosts file
* lxc_container: manage lxc containers
* patch: allows for patching files on target systems
* pkg5:  installing and uninstalling packages on Solaris
* pkg5_publisher: manages Solaris pkg5 repository configuration
* postgresql_ext: manage postgresql extensions
* snmp_facts: gather facts via snmp
* svc: manages daemontools based services
* uptimerobot: manage monitoring with this service

And many more improvements and additions (see the CHANGELOG here for the
full list:
https://github.com/ansible/ansible/blob/devel/CHANGELOG.md#19-dancing-in-the-street---mar-25-2015
).

As always, this update is available via PyPi and releases.ansible.com now,
and packages for distros will be available as soon as possible. We did
catch a last-minute packaging glitch with some modules, so the actual
current version on PyPi is 1.9.0.1, for those who may have noticed.

Looking forward, we will now begin working on getting the v2 codebase moved
over to the default for the devel branch, which we expect to occur in about
a week. As we previously stated at AnsibleFest in London, the existing v1
codebase will be preserved and available in the devel branch while we make
the switch, for those who run from source but do not want to yet switch to
v2.

Thanks, and enjoy!

James Cammarata
Director, Ansible Core Engineering