On Tuesday, 5 May 2015 01:21:17 UTC+10, Brian Coca wrote:

> When you gather facts on the machine, you should be able to see the
> 'PATH' that ansible sees under ansible_env, ansible uses it's own path
> list to find apt and dpkg, but that should not influence the other
> tools, which ansible is not using directly.

Thanks for your response.  If I understand you correctly, I can also do
this to see what PATH Ansible is using:

$ ansible -m setup XXX
XXX | success >> {
    "ansible_facts": {
        "ansible_env": {
            "PATH": "/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games",
            "USERNAME": "root"
        },
    },
    "changed": false
}

The USERNAME of "root" tells me that Ansible is correctly sudo-ing before
running the setup, so I'd expect it to be doing the same before apt-ing.

If this is the PATH setting when Ansible runs apt-get though, it's no
surprise to me that it's failing when it tries to hit things in /sbin.

What could be responsible for this discrepancy in the PATHs based on how
the system is being accessed?  Is this likely to be a system configuration
issue or an Ansible (v1.9.1) issue?