I created an issue reporting what appears to me to be a bug in the fetch
module -- the fetch module succeeds in grabbing the remote file and then
always fails its checksum test if the remote user's login shell is set to
/bin/tcsh -- but works when the remote user's login shell is set to
/bin/bash.

I filed an issue along with simplified steps to reproduce:

https://github.com/ansible/ansible-modules-core/issues/1297#event-300717455

The issue was closed (by a bot?) -- with a note pointing me at this list.

Is this a user issue or a bug?  I'm not seeing any documentation that
implies that the remote_user's login shell needs to be bash ...  Is that a
requirement of ansible?  This requirement is not described in the faq or
any documentation that I find ...  I can't think of anything about my bug
report that implies this is a user support issue.

The fetch module behavior is broken when the remote user's login shell is
set to /bin/tcsh.  That seems an awful lot like a bug to me ...

I've been using ansible for awhile now -- usually the remote_user's login
shell has always been bash -- but in some cases, some of these hosts have
had their login shells changed and I can't necessarily immediately change
them back to bash.

Thanks,
Ben