You could use a `local_action
<http://docs.ansible.com/playbooks_delegation.html>` to shell out to some
command that generates IDs [1]. This technique is often used to generate
passwords in Ansible plays [2,3]. You could generate hostnames in the same
way by simply restricting the alphabet of generated strings to something
like `[0-9]{3}`.

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ansible-project/xthTljaVeEI
[2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ansible-project/8zLKXnwCF9s
[3] https://gist.github.com/eosrei/5191334