This passage:
http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/developing_inventory.html#tuning-the-external-inventory-script

seems to say you have two options:

1. Return a list of groups when called with --list and then return all the
vars for a single group when called with --host
2. Return all groups and all vars in one go when called with --list (the
'tuned' version)

However in both cases you're forced to generate all groups and all vars.

If I'm running a command on a single host or group - I rather expected
there would be a way to avoid generating the vars for all the groups or
hosts that I have no intention of connecting to.

Have I misunderstood something?