I managed to fix this with these two tasks:

  - name: Find the path to the python interpreter
    command: which python
    register: pythonpath
    when: lookup('env', 'CI') == "true"

  - name: Set python interpreter path when in CI
    set_fact: ansible_python_interpreter={{ pythonpath.stdout }}
    when: lookup('env', 'CI') == "true"

You would take out the when statements as they are specific to my testing
environment.