What ideas do others have on Best Practice for using lineinfile?

As a potential conversation starter, here's a couple of ideas that have
recently gelled for me:

1) Use two rules:
* First delete all versions of the line
* Then add the finished version of the line.
This makes the process more idempotent (which, granted lineinfile has
inherent problems with....)
For context, this idea gells around adding a mailrelay statement for
postfix's main.cf. In my environment I have 4 different platforms with
various ad-hoc maintenance (covering quite a few years).

2) Use a (trailing) comment header (i.e. a "here are our changes" line) and
then append changes after this.

Some more context here, I suspect lineinfile appeals to those of us who
have an existing set of servers that we are incrementally bringing into
line. The "correct" path is likely to use a template of a file, but that
requires determining which of the (our various) distro's is the "correct"
set of settings. For something like "use our mail relay" this is a fairly
large hurdle.

Thanks for any comments in advance :-)